Here's where I left off yesterday. I had to break and read some handy instructions I had printed out for how to make different types of backing from tutorials on Susan Brubaker Knapp's site. I sort of screwed up by not leaving excess around the edges for seam allowance when finishing. (I ALWAYS do this, when will I learn?) I want to do a pillowcase, as it's the easiest and quickest. This is what I originally did on Cloister, and also City Hall. I was surprised to read in her instructions that she completes the backing, then does the quilting. I guess if you quilt neatly enough, it's okay. I had been quilting through an thin piece of an old sheet as a backing, then adding the pillowcase over it. This will be interesting!
The design has morphed a little bit. Once I had the background pieced as I showed at the end of the last post, I laid a piece of freezer paper over it, and tried to eyeball a sketch of the design from my sketchbook, at about double it's original size. (The finished piece will be about 10 x 16.
|It's not quite as elongated as the photo would imply,|
but I did end up making the base larger than the sketch.
Since the proportions were different, I had to add to the design a little bit, so I created a flower emerging from the fan.
I also added the little zigzags at the upper corners. Then I started cutting up the freezer paper and building the pieces in sections. The zigzags were easy, though I should have realized that they were not exact mirror images. Oh well, too lazy to change, I like a little asymmetry now and then. None of it was too difficult, though I'm glad I had this photo snapped, because it became a little confusing to assemble after my pattern was gone. I didn't think I needed to trace it all over again... But with a more complex project I certainly would.
Well, if I hurry I can get almost an hour more in before I head to work.