Monday, March 25, 2013

Two Weeks' Worth of Exercises

Spring is here, however temporarily, which means that quilting, blogging, and almost everything else have gone on hold for the duration.  Never fear.  Rain is sure to return.  But I did want to at least post a little more about the Nancy Crow Workshops, and what we did.  Or didn't do.  The number of unfinished items dismays me.  I need to learn to accept them as exercises, and not necessarily as things that need finishing.  But it's hard.


You've already seen this one. I think I will finish it.

Second strip piecing exercise - the assignment was generally,  "Be bold."  The top is done now.

Most people didn't do this, and almost no one finished.  It was to create a  very busy piece out of the same strips as the one above.

The snakes.  I was sort of liking this until some random comment from  Nancy shut me down.

The vast amount of fabric that was mutilated to create potential snake material.
I'm determined to do more with it, mostly because I can't bear to throw it all away.



I really liked this one.  It is also now a finished top.
This is my circle sampler, reconfigured on the wall.
I was not able to get it assembled with a pieced background successfully.  
Would like to get this together, but probably won't spend the time on it.

The grand finale - Bull's Eyes.  I tried a figure ground approach.  I t went much further than this, all the circles are sewed.
The only comment I recall from the critique was, "No one has ever done this before."
I didn't really take that as praise....

5 comments:

  1. Sharon -- I've been in and around Nancy's workshops three times with the bullseye exercise and I will testify that nobody has ever done what you did before. I would say that as praise! Sew that puppy together, fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Thanks for the nudge, too, it's hard to pull that stuff back out after the post-workshop blues set in.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kathy. I loved what you did. And your descriptions and photos of the workshops make me feel like I am there! Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback, Maria. I've been on a productivity roll the last few days. It must have been seeing all those Color Grids partying on your blog. ;) I love them.

      Delete
  3. Sharon- Thank you for sharing these. Did you finish the bullseye? It is really interesting. And I mean that as a compliment. I know Nancy's comments can be so confusing sometimes. Especially when she makes an announce to the entire room, but is really only speaking to one person. Like, "I won't name names , but some of you are procrastinating."

    ReplyDelete