Monday, September 30, 2013

My Goals for the Year Just Past

Below I'm sharing a post I made to the SAQA Visioning Blog in September of 2012. I wanted to memorialize this somewhere, and I'm not sure if that private blog will be around forever.    In my next post I'll share the summing up of how I did meeting my goals:  


  Hi everyone!  I thought I'd write a couple quick intro paragraphs before launching into the stats, so you might have a better picture of who I am and where I am. I live in northwest Washington State, USA, I am 52 years old and work as an architect in my "day job."  It's turned out that my particular career has been heavy on management and light on creativity.  A craving to be more creative was smoldering for a long time, but I didn't know what I wanted to do and was always intimidated by "real artists,"  their techniques, and that magical "creativity" thing that I had no idea how to discover, if I even had any.  

I had never been very adept at sewing more than a straight line, and although I tinkered with traditional quilts when I was a teenager they had never entered my mind as a form of art.  So long story short, my arrival at quilts as art was very sudden:  Bought a cheap sewing machine to whip up some curtains.  Decided to try a little baby quilt for a new granddaughter.  Found out about the rotary cutter. (Though I could sew a straight line, cutting them was always beyond me). Went on the internet....  Discovered this whole new world.  

That was December of 2009, and I've spent every free moment since then sewing, reading, or taking classes.  I still have so much to learn, but that's the fun of it for me.  I'm still very scattered in figuring out my goals, but hopefully this project will help!


Motto for the year:  You can do anything, you just can't do everything.

How I will celebrate achieving my Vision:  ????

General goals for the year: 
  • Learn everything I possibly can about composition and color.
  • Find my "voice," or at least keep searching for it.
  • Continue to hone technical skills.
Specific goals for the year:
  • Work Work Work! Put in the time.
  • Focus on working In a series, and complete at least five major pieces in one series.
  • Enter a piece in "Perspectives, Fantasy & Reality" Online Entry Deadline November 10.
  • Have five new quilt tops ready for the Nancy Crow workshop, in addition to the two that were started earlier this year.
How will I know that I've succeeded?   Those five pieces will be hanging on a wall somewhere!

My Plan: Steps for Success:
I have committed to two courses of study, and will sign up for a third in the next week or so.
1) Starting 9/16/12, I will be taking an online workshop with Lisa Call, called "Working in a Series."
2) In March of 2013 I will be studying for two weeks with Nancy Crow, classes #3 and #4 in her series of workshops.  (I took #2 this year, and loved it). 
3) This fall, I will take a color theory course at our local community college taught by an artist I have long admired, Caryn Friedlander.

Other Steps for Success: 
  • Review my goals each morning.  
  • Monitor actual studio hours spent. 
  • Revise morning routine to get at least one hour of studio time before work 4 days a week.
  • Prioritize weekend time to get at least four (preferably more!) hours of studio time ea. weekend.
  • Spend at least two evenings per week in studio
  • DO NOT volunteer for anything new, and limit time donated to existing committments. 
  • DO NOT start any new functional sewing projects.

Obstacles: 
  • Never having enough time!  
  • Too much computer time and not enough studio time.  
  • Working on functional quilts, gifts or other "useful" projects instead of art quilts.

September:
Steps to take this month towards my goal: 
  • Make sure I get signed up for Color Theory before the class is full. [I have accomplished this.]
  • Try to decided what the theme of my "series" will be for "working in a series." I have two options and am torn both ways.   [I have accomplished this.]
  • NEW*  Set a studio schedule that I can actually stick to.  
Solutions:  
  • See steps for success.  
  • Schedule studio time. 
  • Reduce other commitments. 
  • Limit computer time.


No comments:

Post a Comment