Here is the finished quilt from Karla Alexander's class. Sorry for the terrible photo. I stuck it up on the wall in a hurry before I took it to show and tell at the guild meeting Monday, and this is the first chance I've had to post it.
Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm not thrilled about using the cheapo fluffy batting, but when I realized I didn't have anything else big enough in the house I went ahead with it. It's not something I'm going to love forever, and at least the poly stuff is warm. It looks nice on the couch. I learned a lot from this quilt about color and value. That even when you combine twenty greens, they don't all play nicely together. I thought from the start that the light yellowy one with the olive leaves on it stood out too much, but I did it anyway. Mistake. And the mossy green in the dark group is too light and stands out too much. But still - overall - it's fine.
I quilted in the ditch on the squares and on the wavy lines. If I'd had thinner batting I would have done more dense quilting, but I had enough issues with the backing getting folded and puckered. I was able to get almost all the quilting done on Saturday and finish the binding by Sunday night. I did both sides of the binding by machine. I really don't mind the look of this for regular, functional quilts. I used all dark fabric to bind, to sort of provide an edge or frame, then used dark thread on the top side, and light on the bobbin.
I think I'll go curl up on the couch with it right now!